- Are you curious about careers in science?
Hi, I'm Janellyn, and with me today is Jennifer Hall.
Jennifer, tell me where we are and what you do.
- We are at Crest Marine in Owosso, Michigan, and I am a certified welder/fabricator for our research and development department.
Welding is when you fuse two metal elements together using filler metal and heat.
When you weld two pieces of metal together, it actually becomes stronger than any other fusion you can use, like bolts.
Things like boats and automobiles really depend on that structural integrity.
We have the measurements, and then we have to do the math to find out how much we have to cut.
- What's the process for preparing to weld?
- The process of welding starts with the blueprints, and then measuring, cutting, preparing and cleaning the metal, (sander buzzes) safety guidelines, checking your equipment, and then starting from there.
(welder buzzes) - What types of safety equipment do you need to wear when welding?
- There is so much safety equipment, but we start with hearing protection.
You can wear a welding jacket or welding sleeves, and then I've got my welding hood.
The welding hood is actually so important because it protects your eyes from getting arc flash.
(welder buzzes) - What aspects of STEM are involved in your career?
- In welding, STEM is huge because technology is ever-changing, and I'm on the engineering department, so we come up with the blueprints, and then fractional math is a huge part of my job because we're finding diameter and finding center of parts, so we do math daily here.
All right, welcome aboard.
- What is your advice to kids who are interested in a career like yours?
- My advice to kids who are interested in welding is to utilize the local programs.
There's a lot out there.
Explore your options and really look into a welding career.
That's a little TIG welding.
- Why are you so passionate about your career?
- This career has been life altering for me.
I didn't start out in trades, I start out in the medical industry.
I work with amazing people.
I learn something new every day.
I'm learning new tools every day.
I am truly passionate about what I do here.
- Jennifer Hall's sparked my interest in a career in welding.
Explore your own possibilities.
(bright upbeat music)